For those of you who don’t know Ital means (Vegetarian) or non meat meal. Mostly Rastafari people use the word Ital to describe non meat vegetarian cooking. I thought it would be fun to post a simple recipe for an “Ital” Jamaican meal. You can add meat or fish to it if you like.
How to make Jamaican Style Rice and Peas (the easy way)
- No Jamaican meal is complete without “rice and peas.” When I make rice and peas – I cheat. I don’t like laborious cooking. It wears me out.
- Go to the Caribbean or Asian market and buy (“Mr. Goudas”) Red Kidney beans in the can.
- Go home and cook some white rice, just the way you like it.
- Dump the kidney beans (comes already cooked in the can) into the white rice. Voila! You have Jamaican style Rice and Peas!
Jamaican Style Green Banana
If you want to even pretend to be Jamaican, you have to know how to cook up some Green banana!
- Go to your local market and buy some green bananas.
- Go home and slice the bananas in 2 width wise
- Then make a slit only skin deep length wise on both halves (this will cause the bananas to be able to breathe as you boil them)
- Throw them into some boiling water
- Boil until you can poke your bananas through the skin easily
- I find I boil mine for about 30 minutes for them to get very tender
- when ready take them out, let them cool, mash them up and put some butter on them. (Great for kids, tastes like mashed potatoes)
Jamaican Style Boiled Cabbage
- Finely dice some cabbage,
- boil it just a little about 10 minutes
- Drain off the water
- fry the cabbage in some oil with some salt pepper and some onion and garlic
- Add Carrots or Green peppers if you like, for color and texture.
I highly recommend you try all three together to get the Jamaican food experience. But add some meat or some fish if you prefer. Thanks for reading my beauties. Jah Bless.