What are the dietary restrictions of Rastafarians? by Empress Yuajah
Answer by Empress Yuajah:
Well…we have many dietary restrictions…however, it depends on how that Rasta chooses to follow the Rasta Livity (faith). Deeply or not so deeply.
- Rasta do not add salt to food – Rasta believe Salt is something that creeps up and causes illness in the body. More Jah spiritually without the salt.
- Rasta don’t eat eggs (I don’t) – I don’t eat chicken or chicken embryos. Instead I eat tofu or vegan bologna (something like that)
- Rasta do not drink cows milk – Instead we often opt for Almond, or Soya Milk.
- Rasta do not eat any meat, or Chicken – Rasta love to eat fish, vegetables, fruits, and legumes.
- Rasta Refrain from drinking Alcohol – Beer included. Wine Included. Some Rasta consume Alcohol.
- Rasta do not eat Shell fish – We believe shell fish are dirty because they clean the bottom of the Sea. Rasta believe causes illness in the body.
Again all of these things depend on the individual Rasta. You will find Rasta who consume Alcohol…we are allowed according to our faith. We Rasta know our fate by our choices, so if you witness a Rasta doing these things….he is aware that it is against his fate. He is choosing his own destiny.
Rasta have other Restrictions besides dietary. Read about them in my bookon amazon.
- King Selassie I – King Selassie I (is) a man. We Rasta call him “Jah Rastafari.”
- God of Rasta people – Jah Rastafari is the God of Rasta People. But, if you ask a Rasta he/she will say, he is the god of “all people.”
- A Spirit Entity that lives – We Rasta never say King Selassie I is dead. We Rasta refer to H.I.M in the present tense. He is so powerful, and so necessary to life, that he lives forever…in spirit.
- The creator of Heaven and Earth – Jah Rastafari is the creator of heaven and earth. Some people call him “God.” If you called upon me but not by my right name, I also may not answer.
- The spirituality of Nazirites – Rastafari is the spirituality of the Nazirites of the biblical times. Rastafari is of today. Same spirituality. “no razor shall come upon his head” Rasta Dreadlocks grow and flow and hang down low.
- Jah Rastafari beliefs of Rasta people – Jah Rastafari is the name of our spirituality. Rastafari people are the people who know Jah Rastafari is the creator. We are also called “Rasta.” For short.
I hope this helped to clarify how Rasta use the term “Jah Rastafari.”
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog post.
Please check out my book entitled “Jah Rastafari/”
Some other links on this website you might like.