JAH RASTAFARI WAY OF LIFE BOOKS
|Rasta Way of Life||Life as a rasta woman|
What are the dietary restrictions of Rastafarians? by Empress Yuajah
Answer by Empress Yuajah:
Well…we have many dietary restrictions…however, it depends on how that Rasta chooses to follow the Rasta Livity (faith). Deeply or not so deeply.
- Rasta do not add salt to food – Rasta believe Salt is something that creeps up and causes illness in the body. More Jah spiritually without the salt.
- Rasta don’t eat eggs (I don’t) – I don’t eat chicken or chicken embryos. Instead I eat tofu or vegan bologna (something like that)
- Rasta do not drink cows milk – Instead we often opt for Almond, or Soya Milk.
- Rasta do not eat any meat, or Chicken – Rasta love to eat fish, vegetables, fruits, and legumes.
- Rasta Refrain from drinking Alcohol – Beer included. Wine Included. Some Rasta consume Alcohol.
- Rasta do not eat Shell fish – We believe shell fish are dirty because they clean the bottom of the Sea. Rasta believe causes illness in the body.
Again all of these things depend on the individual Rasta. You will find Rasta who consume Alcohol…we are allowed according to our faith. We Rasta know our fate by our choices, so if you witness a Rasta doing these things….he is aware that it is against his fate. He is choosing his own destiny.
Rasta have other Restrictions besides dietary. Read about them in my bookon amazon.
- Jamaican Beef patties
- Jerk Grilled Burgers
- Curried Pumpkin
- Run Down (Breakfast)
- Rice and Peas (make with meat or chicken)
- Rasta Ital Soup (Vegetarian)
- Jamaican Curried tofu
- Curried Goat
- Curried Shrimp
- Jamaican Jerk Barbeque Ribs
Hey, Guys for all of you who want to learn, I have compiled some Jamaican Recipes for you to try at home. I will update more and more. Free book of Jamaican Recipes. The love of Jah flows through me to you.
Available on www.amazon.com
For those of you who don’t know Ital means (Vegetarian) or non meat meal. Mostly Rastafari people use the word Ital to describe non meat vegetarian cooking. I thought it would be fun to post a simple recipe for an “Ital” Jamaican meal. You can add meat or fish to it if you like.
How to make Jamaican Style Rice and Peas (the easy way)
- No Jamaican meal is complete without “rice and peas.” When I make rice and peas – I cheat. I don’t like laborious cooking. It wears me out.
- Go to the Caribbean or Asian market and buy (“Mr. Goudas”) Red Kidney beans in the can.
- Go home and cook some white rice, just the way you like it.
- Dump the kidney beans (comes already cooked in the can) into the white rice. Voila! You have Jamaican style Rice and Peas!
Jamaican Style Green Banana
If you want to even pretend to be Jamaican, you have to know how to cook up some Green banana!
- Go to your local market and buy some green bananas.
- Go home and slice the bananas in 2 width wise
- Then make a slit only skin deep length wise on both halves (this will cause the bananas to be able to breathe as you boil them)
- Throw them into some boiling water
- Boil until you can poke your bananas through the skin easily
- I find I boil mine for about 30 minutes for them to get very tender
- when ready take them out, let them cool, mash them up and put some butter on them. (Great for kids, tastes like mashed potatoes)
Jamaican Style Boiled Cabbage
- Finely dice some cabbage,
- boil it just a little about 10 minutes
- Drain off the water
- fry the cabbage in some oil with some salt pepper and some onion and garlic
- Add Carrots or Green peppers if you like, for color and texture.
I highly recommend you try all three together to get the Jamaican food experience. But add some meat or some fish if you prefer. Thanks for reading my beauties. Jah Bless.